The Mission of The Gerontological Society of America is:
- To promote the conduct of multi- and interdisciplinary research in aging by expanding the quantity of gerontological research and by increasing its funding resources;
- To disseminate gerontological research knowledge to researchers, to practitioners, and to decision and opinion makers; and
- To promote, support, and advocate for aging education, and education and training in higher education.
The major objectives of this mission are:
- To promote scientific study of aging in both the biomedical and behavioral/social sciences;
- To stimulate communications among scholarly disciplines, and among professionals including researchers, teachers, administrators, and others;
- To disseminate research findings by means of its publications;
- To expand education in aging, including the promotion of educational programs in gerontology;
- To foster application of research in the development of public policy;
- To develop the qualifications of gerontologists by setting high standards of professional ethics, conduct education, and achievement.