Press Briefings and Releases
Press Briefings and Related Activities
Hot Topics for Healthy Aging: Adult Vaccinations, Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medication Behaviors, and OTC Sleep Aid Use/Sleep Health
Thursday, November 21, 2013
11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.
GSA has firmly established itself as a connector and convener of multiple stakeholders for projects that focus on under-researched areas in the field of aging. By sharing information gathered in 2013 through workgroups, publications, summits, and white papers, this briefing will provide insight on findings from three major GSA initiatives: The National Adult Vaccination Program, OTC Medication Behaviors of Older Adults, and OTC Sleep Aids and Sleep Health in Older Adults.
- Laura Bix, PhD, Michigan State University
- Stefan Gravenstein, MD, MPH, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University/Healthcentric Advisors
- William Schaffner, MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine/The Edward Jenner Society
- Michael V. Vitiello, PhD, University of Washington
- Steven M. Albert, PhD, University of Pittsburgh (Moderator)
The Longevity Dividend: Geroscience Meets Geropolitics
Friday, November 22, 2013
11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
Co-sponsored with the American Federation for Aging Research (AFAR)
Can one year of clock time be matched by less than one year of biological time? Presented in partnership with the American Federation for Aging Research (AFAR), this panel will discuss the contemporary pursuit of scientific means to extend the period of healthy life by slowing aging in people (The Longevity Dividend Initiative) and some of the obstacles that stand in the way of what many consider to be one of the most exciting breakthroughs in the history of science and public health.
- Gordon J. Lithgow, PhD, Buck Institute for Research on Aging
- James L. Kirkland, MD, PhD, Mayo Clinic
- S. Jay Olshansky, PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago, AFAR Board of Directors
- Dan Perry, Alliance for Aging Research
- John W. Rowe, MD, Columbia University/MacArthur Foundation’s Research Network on an Aging Society
- Felipe Sierra, PhD, National Institute on Aging
- Roger J. McCarter, PhD, The Pennsylvania State University (Moderator), President, AFAR Board of Directors
Friday, November 22, 2013
5:30 to 7 p.m.
Join other reporters attending the conference for a wine and cheese networking reception and discuss emerging issues on the age beat. The group will head out for a Dutch-treat dinner afterward.
The Commission on Long-Term Care's Final Report: A Discussion with Committee Members
Saturday, November 23, 2013
11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
The Commission on Long-Term Care was created by the American Taxpayer Relief Act — the so-called "fiscal cliff" law — to advise Congress on how long-term care can be better provided and financed for the nation's older adults and people with disabilities, now and in the future. Two members of the commission and its staff director will discuss the proposed solutions and recommendations developed by the commission in its final report, as well as the alternative plan proposed by five members who did not vote for the final report. The speakers will address ideas for moving forward and the challenges that face a comprehensive approach to long-term services and supports.
- G. Lawrence Atkins, PhD, National Academy of Social Insurance
- Judith Feder, PhD, Georgetown University
- Carol Raphael, MPA, AARP Board of Directors
- Brian W. Lindberg, MMHS, Consumer Coalition for Quality Health Care (Moderator)
General Press Releases
- Investments in Aging Biology Research will Pay Longevity Dividend, Scientists Say (November 20, 2013)
- GSA’s New Orleans Briefing Schedule Covers Hot Topics for Healthy Aging (November 8, 2013)
- Journalism Fellowship Recognizes America’s Top Age Beat Reporters (October 4, 2013)
- Join GSA in New Orleans for the Nation’s Premier Aging Conference! (September 27, 2013)
|The Annual Scientific Meeting website is sponsored by the USC Davis School of Gerontology. For more information on programs, please visit gero.usc.edu.|